How about some Vegetarian Lasagna? If you love meaty shiitake and cremini mushrooms, spinach, and ricotta and mozzarella cheeses – you should keep reading!
Courtesy of our friends at Star Clippers Cruise Line, here’s another great recipe!
1. Sauté the mushrooms
• Place mushrooms in a large sauté pan; sprinkle salt over the mushrooms and stir
• When mushrooms start to release water, stir in chopped onions and cook for 4-5 minutes
2. Make the sauce
• Add olive oil to the mushrooms and stir to coat
• Sauté the mushrooms and onions for one minute
• Add garlic and cook for another minute
• Stir in tomato paste, cook for a minute longer
• Reserve 1 cup of the tomato sauce, and put the remaining cup of tomato sauce into the pot with the mushrooms
• Add can of crushed tomatoes and 1 cup of water
• Stir in the thyme, sugar, and red pepper flakes
• Bring to a simmer, then turn heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Boil and drain the lasagna noodles according to package directions
• Place the lasagna noodles on the large cookie sheets, coating with dabs of olive oil to keep them from sticking
4. Assemble the lasagna
• Turn off heat for the sauce; preheat the oven to 350°F
• Spread the reserved tomato sauce over the bottom of a large casserole dish
• Place a layer of lasagna noodles over the tomato sauce, slightly overlapping
• Layer half of ricotta cheese over the noodles, and half spinach over the ricotta
• Sprinkle ½ of the mozzarella cheese over spinach, and 1/4 of pecorino cheese
• Spoon 1/3 of mushroom sauce over mozzarella; sprinkle ½ of fresh basil over the sauce
• Repeat the layering process
• Add final layer of lasagna noodles over the sauce
• Spread remaining sauce over lasagna noodles; sprinkle with remaining pecorino or parmesan cheese
Want to see the original recipe? Click here to view it!
Thinking of getting away on a Star Clippers Sailing Cruise, or any other Cruise or Vacation? If so, just click HERE to get started!