Courtesy of Holland America, this week’s recipe is a favorite onboard. Featured in Holland America Line’s Pinnacle Grill, this one is also included the Holland America Line cookbook by Master Chef Rudy Sodamin.
Bread Pudding ingredients:
½ cup golden raisins
2 tablespoons whiskey for macerating the raisins, optional
1 pound loaf day-old Italian bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
6 large eggs
1 quart whole milk
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
Bread Pudding preparation:
• Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
• Grease a 12-cup muffin tin for preparing individual puddings or a 13X9-inch baking pan for preparing one large pudding.
• Combine the raisins and whiskey in a small bowl and allow to macerate for at least 15 minutes.
• Bring a large kettle of water to a boil.
• Drain the raisins and discard the liquid.
• Divide the bread, chocolate chips, and drained raisins among the muffin cups or place all in the baking pan.
• In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, sugar, cocoa powder vanilla and salt. Whisk thoroughly to combine.
• Pour the mixture over the bread in the muffin cups or baking pan and place the pan in a larger shallow roasting pan.
• Transfer the roasting pan to the oven and add enough boiling water to the larger pan to reach halfway up the side of the muffin or baking pan.
• Bake the pudding for 30 to 40 minutes (45 minutes to an hour for the 13X9 inch pan), or until puffed and just set.
• Carefully remove the pan from the oven and water and allow to cool slightly.
• Unmold and serve with the whiskey sauce.
Whiskey Sauce ingredients:
1 ½ cups heavy cream
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons cold water
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoons whiskey, such as Jack Daniels or Jameson
Whiskey Sauce preparation:
• In a medium size saucepan, heat the cream over medium heat until it boils.
• In a small bowl whisk together the cornstarch and cold water; whisk this mixture into the boiling cream. Return to the boil then reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring constantly for 30 seconds. Take care not to burn the mixture.
• Add the sugar and whiskey and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
• Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
• Cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Warm before serving.
Also great served with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Ready to plan your next vacation or getaway?
If so, Easy Breezy Journeys is here to make it easy for you! Just click HERE to get started!